‘Joining and working with the group and yourself at Artlift, has made such a positive change in me, and it is not just me that says it, my radiography nurse has also noticed a change in my voice and how I am generally’
Flourish was established in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support in 2016 for adults living with or moving on from cancer. Thanks to investment from GLoW (Gloucestershire Wellbeing), online courses will be sustained at this challenging time for those who may be nervous, or unable, to leave the house.
How Flourish has impacted on participants
Watch our short films to hear what former participants had to say.
The University of Gloucestershire have undertaken 2 studies of Artlift’s Flourish projects, and concluded:
‘There was a statistically significant increase in wellbeing when comparing pre and post wellbeing scores, using the WEMWBS, for those participating in the Flourish course.’ (Flourish Mixed Method Evaluation Report, University of Gloucestershire, 2017)
We know from former participant feedback during these studies that Flourish can help recovery from cancer by…
Who’s it for?
Flourish is for adults aged 18+ and living with and/or beyond cancer, who are:
- facing, currently undergoing, or recovering from cancer treatment
- registered with a GP in Gloucestershire
- well enough to attend online sessions each week for 10 weeks
- comfortable interacting as part of a group
- able to access Wi-Fi and, ideally, a computer through which to participate in Zoom sessions
What participants experience
For anyone shielding and/or feeling anxious, these online sessions are a safe space to explore making, drawing and painting with others in the same boat. No skill or talent in art are needed. This is an opportunity to share experiences, make new friends and focus on something positive with people who care and understand.
Participants are supported over a 10-week term to:
- develop creativity and build social connection through a variety of artistic activities and to share their artwork online
- if they wish, define light-touch goals through a personalised creative health plan, which focusses on what they can do, rather than any real or perceived limitations
- devise Move On plans, including the setup of participant-led groups where appropriate, to enable participants to continue using creativity as a tool in their ongoing wellbeing post-Artlift
How to secure a place
There are two ways to access our next Flourish course:
Flourish - Mixed Method Evaluation Final Report, July 2017
This Report provides a summary of the evaluation undertaken by the University of Gloucestershire during 2016-2017.
Flourish 2 - Mixed Method Evaluation Final Report, October 2018
This report presents findings from both Flourish programmes, and includes a comparison and collation of data from the two programmes.
Are you a Gloucestershire or MPCC GP or health practitioner?
GPs and other professionals can refer people for an art course either alongside or instead of medication and other interventions.
Please contact us if you are a medical or other professional and would like to host an Artist in Residence.