Intensive Care Unit Leavers
‘Word Play’ Courses
Artlift is working with Gloucestershire’s award-winning ICU team and listening to the stories of adults who have left Intensive Care, to pilot a new range of courses.
Working with two of our highly experienced Artist Facilitators, participants use visual arts and creative writing to make stories and pictures and poems.
Our Creative Health courses for ICU leavers are designed for adults who have spent time in ICU in Gloucestershire. This may be as a result of covid 19, diabetes, stroke, or any other conditions that require an ICU stay. Taking part can:
- Reduce the challenging psychological impact staying in ICU has on individuals
- Improve participants’ sense of wellbeing
- Facilitate social connection with people who’ve been through similar experiences
Who’s it for?
Individuals referred must be:
- Over 18 and recovering from a stay in ICU in Gloucestershire
- Comfortable in a group setting
- Willing / able to use Zoom if being referred for an online course (we can support with Zoom familiarisation)
- Registered with a GP in Gloucestershire.
What participants experience
Participants are supported over a 10-week term to:
- learn to tell stories through creative activities. This may be their own stories, traditional stories or fantastical adventures!
- explore different activities which may include painting, drawing, creative writing, printmaking and/or photography
- if they wish, define light-touch goals through a personalised creative health plan, which focusses on what they can do, rather than any real or perceived limitations
- devise Move On plans to enable participants to continue using creativity as a tool in their ongoing wellbeing post-Artlift
When and where?
- between April and June / July; then September to December
- the next course will run in Gloucester. The autumn course will run in the most convenient location for participants referred
Click here to see our current courses, click on ‘Are you a potential participant’ below to download a self-referral form and book your place.
Are you a potential participant?
If you are an individual living in Gloucestershire and would like to put yourself forward for either our Create Well or ICU Leavers programmes, please...
Are you a health professional?
If you are a health, VCSE or social prescribing professional, or are working with a patient / service user who could benefit from Arts on Prescription please...