Living Well with Chronic Pain
Living Well with Chronic Pain Programme
As part of NHS Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group’s Test and Learn programme, Artlift is co-producing and refining an arts on prescription offer for adults living with long-term, chronic pain.
We’re now in the second phase of the project and taking referrals from primary and secondary care, including GP surgeries, Social Prescribers and the Pain Management team at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital.
Subject to Government guidelines and participant needs, we are offering these non-clinical interventions from September 2021 as face-to-face community-based courses, online courses and/or remotely delivered 1:1 courses for those unable to access our services online or in person.
Outcomes from Phase 1 showed a positive impact on pain management and wellbeing:
- 67% of participants showed a meaningful improvement in general wellbeing (using WEMWBS scores)
- Just under 70% evidenced an increase in pain management confidence
- Just under 45% reported a decrease in GP visits
Who’s it for?
Individuals referred must be:
- Over 18 and living with chronic pain challenges.
- Comfortable in a group setting (unless being referred for a tailored programme with our Creative Navigator)
- Willing / able to use Zoom if being referred for an online course (we can support with Zoom familiarisation!)
- Registered with a GP in Gloucestershire.
What participants experience
Participants are supported over a 10-week term to:
- develop creativity and build social connection through a variety of artistic genres / activities and to share their artwork (face-to-face community based and remote / online courses available from September 2021)
N.B. for participants who need a longer term or individualised programme (because they can’t access an online group and/or they are frequent primary care service users), we offer a limited number of tailored Arts on Prescription programmes per term guided by our Creative Navigator.
- if they wish, define light-touch goals through a personalised creative health plan, which focusses on what they can do, rather than any real or perceived limitations
- devise Move On plans, including the setup of participant-led groups where appropriate, to enable participants to continue using creativity as a tool in their ongoing wellbeing post-Artlift
Living Well with Chronic Pain projects run between:
- April and July
- September and December
- January and March
Courses participants can engage in include a hip hop film project, a make your own book project (creative writing and illustration) and a carnival making and movement project.
By engaging in creative activities new to me, I have been able to manage my pain better because my brain has been diverted from thinking about the pain to focusing on the creative activity
Are you a potential participant?
If you are an individual living in Gloucestershire and would like to put yourself forward for either our Create Well, ICU Leavers or Flourish programmes, please...
Are you a health professional?
If you are a health, VCSE or social prescribing professional, or are working with a patient / service user who could benefit from Arts on Prescription please...